Sunday, March 04, 2007

Jimmy Three Gigs

I got a bit carried away buying concert tickets recently. I'd been disappointed by the lack of good gigs in Holland in the autumn of last year, so when some interesting bands came along I went a bit mad buying up tickets. It was only when I wrote them on the calendar that it became clear that the week just gone was going to be a busy one - Kasabian on Monday, Goose on Thursday and Klaxons on Saturday (all sold-out, incidentally). And as two of these were in Amsterdam and I already had enough other things going on, I decided to try to sell either the Goose or the Klaxons ticket.

Suffice to say I didn't manage to get rid of either, and eventually decided to go to all 3 concerts. And in retrospect I'm mighty glad I did. All three were great in their own way.

Kasabian - great music, crowd less so. Adidas clad Brits on stag trips for the most part.
Goose - Brilliant, squelchy Belgian indie dance. Apart from the singer, all apparently aged 14 and able to effortlessly switch instruments at the drop of a hat.
Klaxons - one of the best gigs I've seen, ever. And only 40 minutes long. The crowd were mental, flinging glowsticks all over the place, singing their lungs out, moshing, stage invading, crowd surfing and stage diving like idiots. Utter mayhem. Gramps here was glad he could find a quiet corner on the balcony! And the band were awesome. They managed to make even the sweet harmonies on numbers like Golden Skans sound punky and ominous, and the twee faux-shanty Isle of Her became a thundering beast from the deep.

At a guess I'd say this is the first time I've been to 3 separate gigs in a week since Intro Week at Sheffield Poly, *cough* years ago. Arctic Monkeys in the Melkweg next Saturday. Bring 'em on!

No comments: